To help us we've set up a GoFundMe account to help raise the money we need to get these documents. There you will find the details to our story or you can read below.
For those of you who don't know or are confused here our story:
I've been going to Haiti since 1998 (www.themissionhaiti.com) and in March of 2010 I took a team to work at an orphanage in Bercy, Cabaret, Haiti. I quickly fell in love with a little boy named Fritzon. While I love and adore all the kids there, Fritzon stood out. When I looked at him I saw my own little Christopher. Soon after, Wanna captured my heart with her energy, her spirit and the feeling she gave me that I was hanging out with my own Destiny when I was with her.
It's been a long 4 year wait to get to the final stages.
In 2010 I took teams to the orphanage about every 4-6 weeks and spent a lot of time bonding and falling in love with the kids but the country was rebuilding and there was no way to start the adoption process.
In 2011 I began calling around to find someone who could help us but at that time the law stated parents had to be 35, have no bio kids and be married 10 years. Chris and I were only 31, we have kids but in the spring of 2012 we celebrated 10 years. No one would work with us until we met Heather Elyse in Nov. 2011. She promised she could help us and that she was "the most ethical, transparent, least expensive and fastest adoption facilitator in Haiti". We trusted her and began gathing the paperwork need to submit to Haiti.
In the spring of 2012 I flew all our paperwork to Haiti but IBESR, the governement office that processes the adoptions closed to try to reorganize because they were getting flooded with adoptions and were still recovering from the earthquake. In the summer of 2012 I was asked to be on staff to help families that were being scammed by other organizations and in turn that work would help pay for one of our adoptions. I was already working a full time job but I knew that financially that would be one fo the best ways to help pay for the adoption that was supposed to cost under $8,000 each (plus the $4k we paid for all the initial paperwork). That fall our file was accepted by IBESR and we were officially in process in Haiti.
In the spring of 2013 we celebrated as we were told that our file was approved and moving on to the next step. Our celebrations were short lived as things began to unravel with Heather and we realized that many of us were being lied to, misled and the scammed. If you want to really understand how bad it was/is read this blog. At the time my kids were supposed to be coming home I was instead having to find a way to salvage what I could of my documents and bascially start over, losing all our money and all that time. In the fall of 2013 we began the process of recreating missing documents that were withheld from us and fixing documents that were incomplete or considered fraudulent.
We are now nearing summer 2014, over 4 years after meeting Wanna and Fritzon and we have finally submitted everything to the US Embassy for their approval and after reviewing everything have told us of the last 2 things we need to complete our adoption but these 2 things are requiring more money and I've already had to use the money I had saved for the Visa appointments to cover the work to try to get these documents. I am now being quoted several thousand to be able to get one of the documents. We don't have it and we can't move on without out it. I was given until June 6th to be able to get these documents.
I hate asking for more money especially since so much has been lost already but I'm willing to give something in return. I will make photo slideshows for those giving (see examples). I will do something for you online like help you build a website (see mine here).
Here's were we are:
$2000 in CC debt due to trips I had to take in the fall of 2013 to try to recover documents and also to meet with the US Embassy and IBESR about mine and other cases
Document #1 needed by June 6 - Have been quoted $6k to get and another quote for $1k just to look in to it so I'm guessing it could be close to $3k total. I have others trying to get this for less and I may have to fly down and just go show up every day until I get the document I need.
If I need to fly down for this I have been given a voucher to cover $500 worth of my flight. If I get an appointment and have to fly down within a very short time frame I may not be able to use the voucher or the flight may be more.
Document #2 - needed by June 6 - Have sent $300 I had saved for the kids Visa appointments to help cover the cost of getting the document. They have been unable to get and I may need to find one of the kids parents which will require paying someone to look for her plus gas and time.
Once we get these documents submitted we will then need to pay for:
Visa - $230 a piece
Medical evalucations - $90 a piece depending on physician
Exit letters around $40 a piece
Plus pay for gas, translators and the various workers time.
I owe a friend $1500 that I had to borrow to cover some extra costs with the kids passports.
I also still owe about $3000 for the trips I had to make in August and October to try to recover some of my documents plus meet with the US Embassy and IBESR to discuss the situations and investigations.
After all this I do believe this is the end. The US Embassy is the final step before they will issue the kids Visas so they can fly home. If I can get these documents by June 6th the Embassy will be able to issue their approval, give us a Visa date and then we will be home!
Thank you for your prayers and your support. They mean so much!
Shasta & Chris Grimes